Just not in Atlanta anymore...

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Send Me

I went to this amazing concert last night. It’s kinda weird how it all happened.

One night about a year and a half ago, I was flipping through channels late at night, and for some reason, stopped at a channel that was playing videos. At the time, I didn’t realize they were Christian videos; especially since the video that had just started looked like your average rap/rock compilation and I couldn’t really tell what they were saying at first. But when I started to listen, not only was I impressed by the lyrical genius of both rappers on the stage, but I was moved by the words they were saying. When the final credits came on, I wrote down the names of the artists (Lecrae & Flame), and told myself to google them the next morning. When I did google them, I entered into a world I had never known existed before. Up until this point, every “Gospel rap” song I had ever heard was lame and was some wack stuff I could have written. Not only that, but I had always felt like “Christian rap” was a total oxymoron.

Yet these artists, along with the other artists on their label, were some of the most amazing rappers I had ever heard PERIOD – much less in the gospel genre. Every single one of them possesses a genuine skill in the art of lyricism, delivery, and beats; yet rather than rapping about sex, drugs, and money, they were talking about Christ.

What a concept.

So I found out a few of them were performing in San Antonio last night, and I decided to go. I’m not really sure what I expected. I guess I imagined I’d stay in my seat and listen to the word as if I were at church. But that wasn’t the case at all. The energy and love these people displayed for Christ was contagious, and before long, I found myself jumping up and down like I was at an Onyx concert and throwing my hands up in praise. More than that, I left the concert with a newfound realization of two very fundamental truths:

First, that God has bestowed certain gifts upon us that we should be using to glorify Him. Here I see these people who have the gift of music and spoken word, and they spend every day spreading the word, changing lives, and saving souls. They were given the same gifts as people who are millionaires right now talking about money, cars, and hos. Yet instead, they’ve humbled themselves to share the gospel. And here I am afraid of taking a pay cut in order to do His will. Talk about a pay cut! I know that I’m not doing anything with the gifts He has given me, and this money has left me unfulfilled.

Second, God has already chosen the most amazing and talented people to be on His team. It seems to me that the enemy uses the exact same strategies against God that He created for His glory. It’s as if the devil is not smart enough or strong enough to invent his own weapons, so he uses the same means that God invented to save us, but instead uses them to destroy us.

For instance, God created prophecy so that we might be prepared for attacks from the enemy, yet the devil uses this gift in many people (i.e. psychics, mind-readers) to instill fear or false hope in people. Another example of this is love. God created love as the greatest conqueror of evil, yet the devil uses earthly love to get us to idolize, lust, and avenge. Religion is probably the biggest form of this good turned evil. Created to bring us together as one to worship God, the devil has used this tool as a means to separate us, encourage hate amongst us, and brainwash and control our minds and spirits.

Music, for a lot of people, is beginning to take the place of religion. It’s the way we have come to approach, understand, worship, and even escape God and/or life. I think when God started to see the way the devil was using Religion against him, He invented a new means by which people could spread His gospel – music. Originally, most music was worship-centered and religious-based. Just looking at African American history alone, blues, jazz, rock and roll (rap/hip-hop/R&B’s predecessors) all originated from negro spirituals. Nowadays, this music is all centered around sex, alcohol, drugs, cars, and money. False idols the devil has put in place to keep us from fulfilling God’s purpose in our lives.

Yet God isn’t just sitting back and letting the enemy win. Not only is he enlisting the most talented individuals to join his army from the get, but he’s psyching the devil out by allowing people who were once Rebel generals to hit rock bottom and come over to Union. See Clifford Harris for further detail.

Not only that, but He’s giving those of us who remain indifferent, and who sit comfortably in the middle a chance to choose a side. By exposing us to the fact that we’re at war, He gives us the choice to either continue to be misled by the enemy’s lies or to pick up arms and stand with Him.

Perhaps this hip-hop revelation is the very battlefield that will commence The Revelation.

The time has come for us to decide:

Will we continue to blindly follow the way of the world, and listen to the words of a fallen angel?

Or will we be like Isaiah and stand before God, declaring, “Here I am. Send Me.”

6 comments:

Miss Jenkins said...

**waves** Hey boo!

I have never been a fan of Gospel Rap. Partly because I love "secular" rap and gospel music so much, that when I start crossing the two, I get a little mixed up in my head. I like what each offers on their own. I guess I'm old school.

Take that Mary Mary song for example "Its the God in Me." While I understand the idea and the message, I just can't rock with that song. It walks the line of R&B and gospel too closely for my liking.

But b/c you are my e-homie, I will give these dudes a listen.

Henry V said...

That's awesome. Lecrae, Trip Lee and all of them are excellent. My boy put me on to them last year and I was just as shocked at you were cause most "gospel rap" is frankly so bad.

The thing that really interests me about them is that their music forced me to think about what exactly it is that I like about typical hip-hop. Mostly I enjoy rap for its lyricism and/or the beat not its actual lyrical content. In fact, I fundamentally disagree and become somewhat disgusted with the content of most popular songs. When I was younger sometimes rap content entertained me simply b/c the things they were talking about were so ridiculous to me i couldn't help but be amused.

These guys give me beats, lyricism, musical style AND uplifting content. I really hope this type of christian entertainment will continue to grow and become stronger.

In response to the above post, I initially would be kinda weirded out by christian music that sounded too secular, but now I feel that there really is nothing about a particular beat pattern or melodic style that should inherently denote content or restrict an artist or listener from using it to glorify the Lord. Traditional gospel is great, but personally I can't listen to it every day, just like I can't listen to jazz, classical, hip hop or any other genre everyday without variation. And I certainly can't lift weights to gospel, but I can to songs like Lecrae and Trip Lee's "Jesus Musik". Check it out.

SoAmazin said...

Thanks for comments, Miss J and Henry V!

Brandon, I didn't know you were on to that Jesus muzik!! I agree with all you say and you def put it in really good words!

Miss J, give it a try. I see what you mean about God in Me... That was my jam at first, but once mainstream got ahold of it, I felt like it just became another meaningless chant to ppl like any other song on the radio, and no one was really listening to the words anymore... But music like this really blends the lines smoothly and allows you to enjoy the beats & hooks, while still really listening to the words. That's what makes it so important and why I think its the start of something big.

Anthony said...

I bet the Dead Prez concert at Emo's was better.

CHeeKZ said...

First... I want to Co-Sign Anthony. RBG all day.

I love hiphop for many of the reason's Henry V said. But I'm an atheist, big time. However, I LOVE HIP HOP and these rappers are some of the most technically sound southern delivery influenced rappers I have heard.

I got alot of respect for you Joey's opinion, so I tried to give them a good looking over. Found more songs on youtube, looked up related artist. Been listening for an hour and my objective ear can step aside from the message and hear skill.

Beats could have been better and song structure could have been more original. What I really liked was their ability to spot faults in hip hop culture. I just strongly disagree with the solution to the problem.

SoAmazin said...

Cheekz...

I knew that you were really into hip hop (since we've argued about it before), and I had hoped you would read that one and give them an honest listen despite their message... I'm glad you did, and can agree that the music itself has a genuine sound and appeal, regardless of whether you agree with what they're saying.

As always, I appreciate your honesty. Of course we will probably never agree on religion, but that's the beauty of America and the blog world. =)