Just not in Atlanta anymore...

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Christians need a new name

Or maybe we can keep our name, and those other people can change theirs.

Allow me to elaborate...

Have you ever heard a Jewish person say they're Jewish by heritage but not by faith? Or contrarily, a Sammy Davis, Jr. or Charlotte from Sex & the City who's Jewish by faith, but not by culture.

Well I think we need to differentiate those of us who believe in Jesus Christ and accept Him as our personal Savior, and those who were born into the Christian heritage, but are not necessarily practicing Christians themselves.

Because Cultural Christians, over the years, are truly giving Christianity a bad name... That name is Hypocrite.

I arrived at this epiphany when I was befriended by someone on Facebook whose name I didn't recognize. I looked at his profile to try to see if I knew him, and everything "about him" was cursing and f*cking b*tches and h*es and n*ggas. It wasn't just a few words, either. I mean, I certainly don't want to be the pot calling the kettle a n*gga. But this was above and beyond; enough for me to think, wow... Why in the world would someone want to represent himself in such a disgraceful way? Then I scrolled back up curiously to glance at something I often overlook in someone's profile. "Religion: Christian". Yeah. Cultural Christian.

But that's just a small example of a Cultural Christian. Have you ever noticed that the rappers and singers who become successful promoting drugs, alcohol, sex, violence, and all forms of sin to young people, will always thank God on their album notes or upon receiving the Grammy? I mean, it's one thing to be a sinner; we all fall short. But to glorify sin, to encourage impressionable young people to follow your immoral lead... and then to attribute your vile successes to God, as if He supports your choices, or as if it just dissolves the sin to acknowledge Him... To commercialize Christianity that way. Just screams hypocricy. Cultural Christianity... it needs a new name.

It's not to say Cultural Christians don't believe in God and Jesus Christ; in fact, most of them probably do. It's just that believing in God and Jesus Christ isn't the only definition of Christianity. Striving to be Christ-like, seeking forgiveness, and loving one's neighbor are just a minimum. Of course we don't all get there at the same time... But if you're not there yet, please. Do the rest of us a favor and stop denigrating the Christian name. I'm sure that God you keep referring to doesn't appreciate it any more than I do.

Let's review.

The Klu Klux Klan is a "Christian" organization. Nazis were "Christians." Adolph Hitler, Fidel Castro, Benito Mussolini... Roman Catholic (Christians). Slave owners, yep, believers in Jesus. Our great nation's President... (sigh) you get the point. Cultural Christians. I think we have tarnished the name of Christ long enough...

It's time to get a new one.

No comments: